About‎ > ‎

Parish History

 Saint Mary’s Parish campus is located in Byron, Illinois.  The church was originally part of the Archdiocese of Chicago from the late 1890s until the establishment of the Diocese of Rockford in 1908; and was originally founded as a mission church of Saint Mary’s parish in Oregon.  It currently serves the communities of Byron, Davis Junction, Egan, Holcomb, Leaf River, Lightsville, Monroe Center, Myrtle, and Stillman Valley, along with many members located in rural areas.  Saint Mary’s also has a cemetery located west of the church on Blackhawk Street in Byron.  In the early 1960s saint peter’s church in Davis Junction was closed, and many of the members of that congregation joined our parish.
 
Parishioners, through the generous use of their time, talent, and treasure helped to
pro
vi
de the nucleus for the new church.  In 1975, the cornerstone for the new church was dedicated.  The current facility sits on the same site as the original frame church.  A classroom wing was added to provide a facility for th
e religious education program.  These rooms are also used as meeting places by parish ministries and societies.  M
any active religious and social ministries make up the fabric of the parish.  They serve the needs of our members from the very young to the senior citizens.  Parish tithing and also provides the opportunity that allows members to join with their fellow citizens in supporting the needs of our communities.
 
Over the past
twenty years, the communities that comprise the parish have grown.  The rural nature of the parish is slowly changing and the congregation has grown.  Even as the parish grows, it cherishes its warm and
welcoming attitude toward new members and vacationers as they come to the area.